CROQUE MONSIEUR WITH TOMATO SALAD.
- 55g/2oz Gruyere cheese,grated.
- 2 slices bread, buttered
- 3 slices ham
- 55g/2oz butter
- 2 tomato cubed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- handful coriander, chopped (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat grill to hot
- Sprinkle the Gruyere cheese on one piece of the buttered bread, then lay ham slices on top. season with salt & pepper.
- Lay the second slice of buttered brea on top of ham to make a sandwich.
- Take heavy pan & melt the buter over a med. heat. Lay the sandwich into melted butter & fry for a couple minutes, then turn over & fry on the other side.
- Slide the sandwich onto a grill pan & transfer it to the hot grill for 4-5 minutes until golden brown & gooey.
- Meanwhile place the tomatoes & red onion in a bowl and mix well. Add corriander, if using. Dress with French dressing. Remove Croque Monsieur from grill & serve with salad
HOME-MADE FRENCH DRESSING.
- 150ml/5lf oz olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in bowl & drizzle over tomato salad. The dressing will keep for up to a week in an air-tight container in the fridge.
My Thoughts: This is a great cookbook. All the recipes in it are simple, easy to make & affordable. No really intimidating looking recipes here which is great for a begineer. The pictures in it are very cute & colourful. The book also has lots of great tips through out. It has everything from meals to make when you are on your own to lush looking meals to make for company. I have to say I am surprised people don’t make their own dressings for salads more often, I have made my own salad dressing from a few cookbooks now & I am always amazed at how much tastier it is. Not to mention how easy it is to do. This recipie was very good & took about 15 - 20 minutes for me to make.